June 15, 2012 — The Morehead City Council Monday appointed Joni Mraz to the office of city clerk. Mraz was hired to replace Diana Reeder, who will retire July 31 after 33 years in the position.
“We have lived in Morehead for many years and raised our children here,” Mraz said. “I know the city and the community very well and I’m looking forward to serving.”
Mraz will be employed in an interim clerk position beginning July 9, according to the appointment order.
Mayor David Perkins said he expects Reeder and Mraz to work together during Mraz’s transition to the position.
He said the city’s decision to hire Mraz was based on her extensive experience in human resources, which she conducted at benefits manager at St. Claire Regional Medical Center.
“All of the candidates were very good, and she seemed to stand out,” Perkins said.
“Human resource management is a large part of the job of city clerk and she’s got great strengths in that area.”
Perkins said the selection committee believes Mraz is well able to learn and perform the other duties of the city clerk.
A line item in next year’s budget allots $50,000 annually for Mraz’ salary.
Council also passed on second reading a $7.3 million city budget for FY 2012-13. The budget includes a 30-cent an hour pay increase for all city employees. A motion to raise that amount to 50 cents an hour failed to gain the necessary Council votes in a special meeting held May 29.
The local governing group also approved annual budgets for the Morehead Utility Plant Board, $10.2 million, and the Morehead Tourism Commission, $1.6 million, both of which contain a 50-cent an hour pay increase.
In other business, Council:
• Passed a resolution to sell property at the corner of Second Street and Tipett Avenue to a private developer;
• Passed on second readings ordinances to update, amend and supplement policies and language in the city code;
• Passed resolutions declaring surplus property in the Morehead Police Department;
• Approved annual agreements between the City and Rowan County E911 Board, Morehead Rowan Chamber of Commerce, St. Claire Counseling, Rowan County, and Tim Eldridge, CPA;
• Appointed Alan Baldwin to the board of directors of the Morehead Utility Plant Board to replace Charles Patrick for a term set to expire Nov. 10, 2014;
• Appointed Ronnie Brooks to the Rowan County Board of Assessment Appeals for a three-year term set to expire June 30, 2015;
• Re-appointed Lee Jackson and Stephen Perkins to the city Building Code Appeals Board for three-year terms set to expire June 14, 2015;
• Re-appointed Aaron Roberts and Robert Kelly to the Morehead Code Enforcement Board for three-year terms set to expire June 9, 2015.
Noelle Hunter can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at 784-4116.